What Type of License do you need to Rent an RV?

Posted on October 28, 2019
What Type of License do you need to Rent an RV?

Have you ever asked yourself the question: do you need a special license to drive an RV in Canada? Well, we have answers for you! Here is our definitive guide on license requirements needed in order to drive an RV.

Canadian Provinces

In Canada each province has their own classes of license and that can be tricky to figure out which one you have and need based on where you are planning on renting the RV.

Here are the Canadian License Equivalencies

Screen Shot 2017-11-14 at 9.54.18 AM.png

What Can I Drive/Tow?

With the license classes highlighted in the green (which is the standard license class in each province) you are able to drive:

  • Travel Trailers
  • Class B Motorhomes
  • Class A Motorhome (Airbrake excluded)
  • Class C Motorhomes
  • Fifth Wheel

You may be thinking “isn’t that everything?” and the answer is Yes. With your standard driver's license in all provinces you are able to drive a motorhome without any special drivers license.

The Exceptions

There are some motorhomes that do require a special class of license to be able to to drive the rig. For motorhomes that have air brakes, an air brakes license is required in order to rent the RV.

Always make sure that you verify with the owner if the listing has mentioned airbrake license.

International Licenses

If you are travelling to Canada internationally, no need to worry, as long as you have your full license for more than 8 years from where you reside then you are able to rent an RV and be covered through our insurance.

Now that you know what license is needed to drive an RV in Canada, you can start searching!


Other articles you might be interested in: